At Floor Coverings International Spring Branch Houston, TX, we carry any synthetic carpeting material you can think of: nylon, olefin, polyester, and more. However, many of our customers are looking for a natural carpeting material that is soft, durable, and easy on the environment. Before petroleum-based carpeting materials, we had wool sourced from happy sheep.
Here is some information about this wonder material:
How is wool harvested?
Wool is harvested from sheep. Sheep live on farms and relax for most of the year, eating grass and growing their beautiful manes. Then, once per year, they drive to their local shearer and get a buzz cut. This does not harm the sheep!
Sources vary, but the world’s main wool producers are in Australia and New Zealand. The United States, United Kingdom, and China also produce a sizeable portion. These countries raise many breeds of sheep. The Lincoln, Romney, Drysdale, and Elliotdale varieties are prized for their courser wools, much of which is used to make carpeting.
The raw wool is cleaned and sterilized. Then, it goes through a process called carding, a series of steps where the wool fibers are literally combed through. The next step is roving, where the combed fibers are put on spools. Lastly, the wool spools are spun into plys and become the yarn you can buy at a knitting shop.
- Wool is very easy to dye and holds much of its color over time, even with sun exposure.
- Wool emits less carbon than petroleum-based carpet fibers, like polyester and nylon.
- Wool is a great insulator. It feels warm and luxurious under your feet, making it perfect for bedrooms and living rooms.
- It conducts less static electricity than most carpeting materials.
- Wool’s natural fibers are dirt resistant.
- Wool’s superior ability to hold dyes is a double-edged sword; it is more prone to staining.
- It is a significant financial investment. If wool were cheaper, there would be no other carpet alternatives.
Learn from the Experts
Looking for new wool carpeting for your Spring Valley home? Your flooring experts at Floor Coverings International Spring Branch Houston, TX are proud to serve Spring Branch, Spring Valley, Jersey Village area residents. Call today for a free, in-home consultation.
You Might Also Enjoy
- Area Rugs
- Carpet Tiles and Carpet Squares
- Saxony Carpet in Spring Valley
- Sisal Carpeting
- Spring Branch Plush Carpet
Photo © Vasilyev Alexandr